Allied Media Projects cultivates media strategies for a more just, creative and collaborative world. We serve a network of media makers, artists, educators, and technologists working for social justice. Our work is grounded in Detroit and connected to places across the globe.
In our story-centered communications strategy, we aim to amplify voices within this network; hold space online and offline for innovative storytelling; and shift dominant narratives through our engagement with new, radical, and traditional forms of communicating with the world.
We are hiring a Communications Manager to work with our Communications Director and other senior staff to execute a new editorial direction for a multi-media, multi-channel communications strategy that helps grow AMP’s mission and vision.
The salary range for this full-time position is between $42,000 - $50,000, plus benefits. This position is based at the AMP office in Detroit, Michigan. The ideal start date is .
If you believe this is the position for you, then we encourage you to apply! Details about the specific responsibilities and qualifications of the job are listed below.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and references to email@example.com by .
The Communications Manager will join AMP at a time when we are changing and adapting the ways in which we tell our story and the tools we use to do so. The Communications Manager will be an active contributor in implementing these changes and adaptations.
While this is a time of change, some general responsibilities of the position are known at the time of this posting:
- Work closely with the Communications Director to manage the editorial calendar and workflow of communications.
- Produce, or supervise the production of, original written material in the form of reports, blog posts, press releases, internal notices and memos, social media posts, etc., as well as editing and proofreading the writing of other contributors.
- Coordinate communications targeted at engaging and encouraging individual donors.
- Coordinate day-to-day tasks with a communications team which may include copywriters and copy-editors, publicists, designers, website developers, videographers and photographers, assistants, etc.
- Administer various online content management systems or platforms that support our work (this currently includes: Shopify, Mailchimp, Zendesk, Eventbrite, Sched, etc.)
- Work with the Communications Director to ensure that all external communications fit the AMP organizational voice
- Work with the Design Director to ensure that all external communications fit the overall visual design identity of AMP.
- Coordinate the production of web or print informational materials about AMP and our programs.
- Coordinate the development of communications and promotional materials for fundraising efforts, engagement with funders and donors
- Manage our online “front-desk”, coordinating AMP staff in responding to inquiries from members of our community, from media outlets, from researchers and academics, etc.
- Research and stay up to date on best practices in all of the areas described above, and continuously contribute to changes and adaptation of AMP’s approach to communications.
Must-have skills and experience
- Two to three years of project management experience
- Excellent written communications skills
- An enthusiasm for writing about the Allied Media Conference, the Sponsored Projects, and media-based organizing in general
- Confident verbal communication – an ability to speak on behalf of, and help develop AMP’s voice
- Ability to empathetically and effectively edit and proofread the work of others
- Well organized with the ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively and strategically
- Ability to evaluate, learn from successes and missteps, and adapt
- Ability to take direction as well as give direction
- Proficiency in use of Google Sheets and other Google Drive applications
- Background in journalism or storytelling
- Background in grassroots fundraising and development
- Experience in marketing and publicity
- Experience in event curation, promotion and or production
- Experience in web development
- Background in administering online content management systems or hosted services
- Experience with social media-based strategy, storytelling and marketing
- Experience in graphic design or proficiency in use of Adobe Creative Cloud tools
- Experience with instructional or technical writing
- Experience as a participant in the Allied Media Conference and/or one of our Sponsored Projects
Nice-to-have skills and experience
About Allied Media Projects
What’s it like to work at Allied Media Projects?
[Working at] Allied Media Projects is an adventure that is equal parts hard work, big ideas, and loving execution
– Mo Willis, Associate Director
I’ve worked here for more than 10 years and have never been bored for a single day.
– Jenny Lee, Executive Director
AMP is a place where you can bring your whole self. Everyone has a lot of things that they’re passionate about and you don’t have to leave them behind to work here.
– Muna Danish, former Communications Manager
What does Allied Media Projects do?
We produce the annual Allied Media Conference, and through our Sponsored Projects Program we provide fiscal sponsorship and other support services to more than 100 media, art, and technology-based social justice projects in Detroit and nationally.
Allied Media Projects is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, ethnicity, national origin, immigration status, sexual orientation, religion, HIV serostatus, disability, height, weight, veteran status or marital status.