Allied Media Projects is committed to fostering a healthy, exciting workplace environment in which talented humans combine forces to accomplish incredible things. As we grow our core programs, the Allied Media Conference (AMC) and Sponsored Projects Program, and support the growth of more than 100 sponsored projects, we are seeking a Human Resources Manager who will help ensure that the humans of AMP are well cared for.
The HR Manager must have a passion for facilitating staff well-being and a vision for how individual well-being contributes to organizational success. They must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. They must have experience with industry standard approaches to Human Resource coupled with a desire and ability to make HR more humane, equitable, and transformative.
The position is based out of the offices of Allied Media Projects in Detroit, Michigan.
If you believe this is the position for you, then we encourage you to apply! Details about the specific responsibilities and qualifications of the job are listed below.
The salary range for this full-time position is $48,000 - $65,000 commensurate with experience. AMP employees enjoy a generous benefits package that includes full medical benefits with dental and vision insurance, an employer-matching retirement plan, and technology stipend. The ideal start date is .
How to Apply
In lieu of a cover letter, please respond to these short-answer questions:
1. Why are you excited about working at Allied Media Projects?
2. What experience do you have with designing and implementing organizational HR strategy?
3. What strengths and ideas would you bring to recruiting, onboarding, retaining and engaging staff?
4. How do you remain aware of and compliant with federal and local labor regulations?
4. Is there anything else you’d like to share with us? (not required)
Please send your responses and your resume to email@example.com with your last name followed by “HR Manager” in the subject line (example: “Andrews HR Manager”). Priority will be given to applications received by April 5, 2019.
*Please note: Submissions received without the required submission format will not be reviewed.
About the Human Resources Manager Role
The network of AMP Sponsored Projects is growing, with over 100 active projects at the time of this posting. The Allied Media Conference is also growing, requiring more staff and contracted labor to ensure its smooth operation. The HR Manager will help ensure that AMP and its network of sponsored projects have the multi-talented humans we need to grow and evolve our work, and that these humans are well cared for.
As Human Resources Manager you will:
- Contribute to the design of an HR strategy for Allied Media Projects that helps us achieve strategic mission, budgetary, and programmatic goals.
- Manage employee benefits programs including, but not limited to, medical, dental, retirement, leave, and health savings.
- Manage hiring processes, including the development and circulation of job descriptions and job postings, interviews, offer letters, employment agreements, and orientations.
- Develop systems for the recruiting, hiring, management, and evaluation of contracted labor and vendors.
- Research and implement software and online services that create efficiencies and ease of use in AMP’s HR systems.
- Manage a system for receiving staff concerns or grievances and liaison with appropriate parties to seek resolution, including third party mediation resources when necessary.
- Build and maintain a database of resources for well-being including but not limited to: therapists, healers, coaches, and mediators; provide individual support to staff in accessing these resources.
- Create and administer a system for employee professional development requests.
- Annually coordinate the process of updating job descriptions.
- Annually coordinate staff evaluation processes.
- Conduct exit interviews and provide additional support in the process of employee job transitions as needed.
- Assist with employee payroll.
- Lead the design and implementation of activities that promote healthy organizational culture.
- Stay abreast of emerging best practices in non-profit HR management. Conduct regular review of AMP practices and recommend redesign or improvements.
- Work closely with AMP’s Executive Director on the development and implementation of organizational policy; evaluate and make updates to the AMP Employee Handbook as needed.
- Fulfill other related responsibilities as necessary.
- Minimum 3 years prior experience in Human Resource Management, Business Management or related field (can include internships).
- An empathetic and compassionate approach to HR that emphasizes people development.
- An understanding of the role of people development and management systems in a values and mission-based organization.
- Ability to work within high levels of complexity, balancing multiple needs, projects, and systems.
- Desire to help connect people with the resources they need to live their best lives and do their best work.
- Strong commitment to professionalism and confidentiality.
- Familiarity with:
- Employee Relations Management
- Performance Management
- Career Development
- Employee Engagement
- Talent Acquisition and Retention
- Compensation and Benefits
- Training and Development
- Compliance (Michigan labor laws and potentially other markets in the US)
- Onboarding and New Hire Orientation
- Succession Planning
- Risk Management
- Background in organizational development theory and practice.
- Excitement for reinventing / hacking the Human Resources system.
- Familiarity with AMP and our sponsored projects.
- Prior experience working as an HR generalist.
- PHR, SPHR or SHRM CP, SHRM S-CP designation
About Allied Media Projects
What’s it like to work at Allied Media Projects?
"[Working at] Allied Media Projects is an adventure that is equal parts hard work, big ideas, and loving execution"
– Mo Willis, Associate Director
"I’ve worked here for more than 10 years and have never been bored for a single day."
– Jenny Lee, Executive Director
"AMP is a place where you can bring your whole self. Everyone has a lot of things that they’re passionate about and you don’t have to leave them behind to work here."
– Muna Danish, former Communications Manager
What does Allied Media Projects do?
We produce the annual Allied Media Conference and through our Sponsored Projects Program we provide fiscal sponsorship and other support services to more than 100 media, art, and technology-based social justice projects in Detroit and nationally.
To learn about AMP, check out the following links:
Allied Media Projects is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, ethnicity, national origin, immigration status, sexual orientation, religion, HIV serostatus, disability, height, weight, veteran status or marital status.