Are you using media to create a more just, creative and collaborative world? We want you to help us shape the 20th Annual Allied Media Conference in Detroit! Submit a proposal for an AMC2018 track, practice space, or network gathering. Proposals are due November 8, 2017 at 11:59 EST.
Held every summer in Detroit, the Allied Media Conference brings together a vibrant and diverse community of people using media to incite change: filmmakers, radio producers, technologists, youth organizers, writers, entrepreneurs, musicians, dancers, and artists. We define "media" as anything you use to communicate with the world. Last year, over 150 coordinators from around the continent organized 27 tracks, practice spaces, and network gatherings at the AMC. We are excited to open our proposal process to new and returning AMCers who will collaboratively build an even more dynamic and diverse AMC2018. The 20th Annual Allied Media Conference takes place June 14-17, 2018.
Tracks, Practice Spaces, Network Gatherings
Through an open proposal process, we select the thematic focus areas of each year’s conference. These focus areas take the form of tracks, practice spaces, or network gatherings.
A Track is a series of sessions connected by a shared theme.
A Practice Space is a hands-on open studio space dedicated to a creative practice.
A Network Gathering is a day-long mini-conference convened by a local or national network on the Thursday of the AMC.
All of the tracks, practice spaces, and network gatherings at the AMC are focused on media-based organizing. Media-based organizing is any collaborative process that uses media, art, or technology to address the roots of problems and advances holistic solutions towards a more just and creative world.
Why Should I Propose a Track, Practice Space, or Network Gathering
“For the first time this AMC, I identified as a community organizer. I have learned so much by being involved in the participatory organizing process and connecting with other folks doing media-based organizing in all sorts of fields to address all sorts of social issues.” - AMC2016 coordinator
- You will have the opportunity to bring people together over the four days of the AMC for a shared purpose or cause.
- By participating in a year-round organizing process with the AMC, you will build lasting relationships with a growing network of national and international artists, activists, and media makers.
- You will have opportunities to develop projects that extend beyond the conference.
- You will develop your skills in facilitative leadership, popular education, grassroots fundraising and more.
- You will receive a complimentary registration, housing support, and a mini-grant to seed grassroots fundraising efforts for your TPSNG.
How to Propose a Track, Practice Space, or Network Gathering
- Browse the tracks, practice spaces, and network gatherings from the last conference for inspiration or to get a sense of what has come before.
- Decide if you are proposing a track, a practice space, or a network gathering. Learn more about the requirements for each focus area here.
- Gather your coordinating team. You will need a minimum of three coordinators to organize a TPSNG.
- Submit the proposal form before November 8, 2017.
What We Look For In Proposals
We are looking for proposals that:
- explore, embody or centralize media-based organizing. Submissions that lack a connection to media-based organizing will not be considered.
- use clear and direct descriptions.
- offer various levels of engagement in terms of skill level and age range.
- are accessible and skill-generating.
- are flexible and adaptable to feedback.
- explore how to use art, media, and technology for social justice.
- are submitted by teams of 3-6 people, with at least one coordinator having attended a previous AMC.
- embody principles of the AMP network. Read them here.
If you are excited and ready to propose a Track, Practice Space or Network Gathering for AMC2018, click below to submit your proposal. Be sure to read the instructions on our application form thoroughly.
Info Calls + FAQS
Join one of the info calls below to learn more and ask questions about proposing a track, practice space, and network gathering.
To join the call dial-in 719-284-5616. Pin: 95330
Frequently Asked Questions
Read answers to your FAQs about Tracks, Practice Spaces, and Network Gatherings at the AMC.