We are hiring a Community Arts Coordinator to support Create NED, an initiative to activate residents in Northeast Detroit to utilize art, design, and technology in a neighborhood planning process for their community. Through Create NED we will model and share this neighborhood plan with the City of Detroit and the general public.
About the Community Arts Coordinator position
The Community Arts Coordinator will work closely with the leadership of the Restore NED Coalition to:
- organize local artists within District 3 to engage in the project;
- design and implement three major public art and landscape architecture projects in three city parks;
- produce three community arts festivals;
- administer a mini-grant funding program for resident-led, creative adaptations of vacant land in the District.
The Community Arts Coordinator will work out of the offices of both Allied Media Projects in Detroit’s Cass Corridor and Nortown Community Development Corporation in Northeast Detroit.
The Community Arts Coordinator will report to the Executive Director of Allied Media Projects.
This is a contract position with the expectation of approximately 40 hours of work per week over the period of October 1, 2015 through February 28, 2017. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Outreach + Organizing
- Conduct online, phone, and door-to-door outreach for meetings and events in collaboration with community organizers.
- Build a database of District 3 artists, organizers, and businesses interested in supporting the work of Create NED partners.
- Co-design, promote, and administer a mini-grant funding program.
- Organize artists from District 3 and beyond to consult mini-grant applicants on the development of their proposals for public art and landscape architecture projects on vacant land in their neighborhoods.
- Help organize and promote participatory documentation and design trainings for Northeast Detroit residents.
- Develop programming, coordinate vendors, and manage associated logistics for community arts festivals in local parks, in partnership with residents.
- Secure necessary permits.
- Research and secure donated materials.
- Manage interns and volunteers.
- Support Create NED partners to produce communications materials such as flyers, content for a newspaper, website blog posts, etc.
- Support Create NED partners to produce and organize documentation related to the project (meeting notes, photos, videos, etc.).
- Support the design of a Create NED community arts tour as an earned revenue strategy for the coalition.
- Assist District 3 residents to take ownership of local parks through the City’s Adopt-a-Park program.
- At least three years experience as a community organizer.
- Experience using art as a process for collaborative visioning, relationship-building and community-development.
- Relationships within Detroit’s artist communities.
- Ability to envision and execute large-scale, high quality creative projects.
- Attention to detail.
- Dependable transportation.
- Familiarity with the concepts of Creative Placemaking and Creative Placekeeping.
- Ability to work collaboratively and within diverse communities.
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills.
- Relationships to organizations, individuals, and businesses in District 3.
- Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign in particular.
- Proficiency with Google Drive applications (documents, spreadsheets, forms/surveys, and calendars).
How to apply
Please submit the items listed below to firstname.lastname@example.org by
September 23, 2015 September, 28 2015. No calls please.
- a cover letter describing your interest in this position
- a resume or link to your LinkedIn profile
- work samples (up to 2): photos, video or written documentation of a community arts project in which you played a leadership role
- a list of at least 3 professional references
We strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ, and disabled candidates to apply.