Emergent Strategy Orientations exist as an extension of the Emergent Strategy book to further
engage in text’s core principles. These are one day engagements facilitated by the members of
the Emergent Strategy Facilitation Cohort.
Immersions are loosely structured convenings for people who are already in deep engagement with the work of emergent strategy (ES) and would like to share and create new strategies together to apply ES to real life content.
Led by members of the Emergent Strategy Facilitation Cohort, participants cover core aspects of emergent strategy and co-create most aspects of the time together; that co-creation and participation is where the learning will happen. Immersions occur over the course of three full days.
Don't forget to save the dates for future Immersions for this year:
- Detroit, MI: October 24-27, 2019
- Oakland, CA: November 14-17, 2019 Further information (e.g., application) about these immersions will be emailed and shared on social media as they become available.
- assess their facilitation skills;
- learn elements, principles, and tools for emergent strategy; and
- further develop their facilitation skills in small and large group settings. This is a 3-4 day training capped at 20 participants and are geared toward people who have had at least a few years of facilitation experience.
- The session only includes those who are directly involved in the conflict. This method is interested in how we stop the harm that's happening, and how we retain as many people as possible in movement.
- Participants’ primary commitment in the mediation is to a larger movement and purpose than themselves. This doesn't mean they get disappeared in the process, but it does mean paying attention to how each agreement will impact the strength of the movement that they share parts in. This program holds emphasis on conflicts that are happening in black liberation movement spaces.
Facilitation TrainingsFacilitation trainings provide participants with the opportunity to:
Kitchen Table: A Movement Mediation Method
These sessions invite people who are in conflict in movement to come and sit together in a space where attention is paid to create the conditions of the kitchen table: directness, intimacy, privacy, ease, tea, and space to be honest with each other.
Some key elements:
ESII offers coaching sessions for movement leaders who are looking to enhance emergent
strategy in their daily leadership practices.
ESII accepts in person and virtual speaking engagements for folks and/or organizations that
want to be in conversation about visionary fiction, emergent strategy, and/or pleasure activism.
Presentation and Reading
adrienne maree brown reads excerpts from Emergent Strategy and/or Pleasure Activism and engages in a community conversation around best practices.